Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Post Titled: Google Conspiracy Video
That's right, a fun little Google Conspiracy video, which made me thinK: do I care about my privacy, ... uh, no, not as long as I have less that $10 dollars in the bank. (Less than 5 actually.) Should I trust Google? Uh... don't care. I trust them far more than the government, so that is a start. Do I want absolute transparency? Yes.Why? Why not? I hate secrets and lies. Brave New World... again and again and again. I Like it. Maybe some don't, but I do.


THEN AGAIN; should I worry? : from Adbusters: Rise of the INternet Police State

Anyhow, check out this completely unengaging internet news report on Google vs. VIACOM:

Labels:

Google Book Search

2 Comments:

Blogger Helen DeWitt said...

Something rather touching about the idea that the sort of data Google can collect could add up to transparency of the person.

Also. This reminds me somehow of the old British TV show, Dr Who, which featured terrifying evil aliens, the Daleks; these were (if I remember correctly) robotic creatures on wheels, which could be foiled by, um, a flight of stairs. The makers of the video have seriously underestimated the power of a technophobe like my mother to resist the sinister empire by, um, not turning on her computer. For weeks on end.

1:56 am  
Blogger nigels said...

In the recent Dr. Who series they corrected the staircase flaw by providing the Daleks with the ability to levitate. Scary! I always wondered why Daleks had to throw a hissy fit: "Exterminate! Exterminate!" rather than actually getting on with the job of extermination. They must be British after all. It just wouldn't be cricket if they didn't play fair and tell you first ;)

Paul, on the transparency issue: why would you trust Google? Let's say they're not evil now, but turn to the dark side later. There's no way for you to take away the data that they might have gathered about you. It's theirs to do what they like with. If they're not evil, but evil people get access to their data you're also a victim.

Trust is earned over time and lost in an instant. Can you ever imagine trusting your government for instance?

1:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home