Sunday, April 01, 2007

Post Titled: Sunday Pre-Fondue Run-up/Round-up
Post Subtitled: another day in the life. a post about daily things, now what I have pumped the blog full of newslings for the past few days/weeks:

It is a very quiet Sunday morning here, I have been awake for hours, only sound has been churchbells. Sunny, blue sky, I should really go for a walk.
We are going to spend the day preparing for our second-and-a-half dinner party, this time Nadine has hatched a plan to have 12 people for fondue. THe recepie calls for cherry schnapps. Hopefully it will work out as well as the first dinner party where we only had 8 people- but even that was a bit hectic to handle... we shall see.

THe apartment is really coming together. I spent yesterday gathering materials to build Nadine a desk. At Bauhaus (like Home Depot) I actually ran into some Americans. This was the very first time I have randomly encountered other americans in my neighborhood. I kept my mouth shut and observed their behaviours... the way they talk to their 3-year old as if he were 30, asking his preferences and such, the loud talking-to-you-talking-to-self manner in which they addressed questions to one another, the passive-agressive interactions... like "Well, Hon, the towls in the bathroom are eggplant so if we painted the trim ivory- I don't know, it is up to you, I just don't know if we want to install that -blah blah" very odd- and in a way this encounter shattered my purely anonymous-alien existence/experience here, and I walked away feeling very confused about the situation. I have grown accustomed to dodging and observing american tourists at Checkpoint Charlie (across the street from my work) but having them IN the neighborhood is wierd... on my walk home from work I encountered two "bros" from "Philly" who were lost looking for the Jewish Museum. THey were nice, but asked the usual questions: so, like, where is the party at tonight? and where can we buy some pot around here? Two areas in which I am particularly unhelpful.
Every once in awhile I see hipsters who I think might be american, but then I realize that they are just universal hipster-stock.

At work our chief editor keeps having me contact famous people to interview for the magagine. On Thursday we were shot-down by Greenspan, who is completely absorbed in writing a book, and I am still waiting to hear from Slavoj Zizek, the secretary at his University in SLovenia is the most blunt, rude, and impatient woman i have ever encountered on the phone... but then, it is Slovenia, what did I expect... (unfair generalization, i know) and now am supposed to contact Stephen Hawking. On the up-side I spent most of Friday researching Dr. Hawking, which I truly enjoyed. However, the chances of getting ANY of these people is extremely slim... anybody have a better, more-realistic suggestion?

THe other night I realized that the crazy red-haired secretary in The Devil Wears Prada is the same girl I met and chatted with at the Seattle film fest a fews years back at the release of "My Summer of LOve" - duh. Just watched it again on peekvid and all the pieces fell into place. Emily Blunt, how odd.

Labels:

Google Book Search

1 Comments:

Blogger Jesi Khadivi said...

hey, bauhaus builder! can't wait to see the desk.

re: americans...i have a heightened awareness of my american-ness here. is that a phase? it manifests itself in strange ways. mostly being soft spoken and bumbling!

5:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home