Thursday, May 10, 2007

Post Titled: again and again and again.
Post Subtitled: DISCLAIMER: Allow me to drag you through my thoughts on the first half-day of a THursday in May.

It is quite possible that my transition into so-called 'adulthood' keeps taking three steps forward and two steps back. today was one of those days where that was once again blaringly obvious. It IS going forward, but at a different and stumble-tripped-up chaotic rate, just something to recognise and deal with, I suppose.
I attended my first press conference today at the Haus der Bundespressekonferenz, couldn't find the front door- I don't think there is one, then accidentally walked-in on a UNICEF press conference before finally finding the right part of the building- which was NOT marked AT all. Nice people to greet you, sign-in, get all sorts of free (good) food-juice-caffinated drinks (and by the way if you are ever hungary all you would need to do is put on a suit and walk into this place: Schiffbauerdamm 40) I showed up and took a seat at the very long u-shaped table, flipped through the info packet and observed the cameramen and their neurotic jolting motions, noticed the tired disinterested (and somewhat distorted?) faces of journalists from several major newstations and papers... a small-ish but official gathering, and it felt wierd being the youngest(-looking) person in the room, definitley the youngest-looking, but then again as things got started it really didn't seem to matter. The meeting was to present the expectations of European Youth for a Tobacco-free Europe in the future, this involves banning smoking everywhere, banning tobbaco advertisements, etc. Good luck. Since I knew almost eveything in the presentation ahead of time (from researching for the article I wrote about the campaign a few months back), I basically just pretended to be taking notes and just wrote down all the German vocab words that I heard being used but did not know the meaning of.
Afterwards I had some time to kill since by the time I actually got back to work it would already be lunchtime, so I wandered along the bank of the Spree by the Bundestag, very futurustic- they filmed some opening scenes of X-Men here, then wandered over to Unter den Linden, visited the Akadamie Der Künste, (which has a grea t little bookstore) then to the GAlerie Lafayette on Friedrichstrasse, a place I like to go just to be surrounded by commercial eye-candy. At the peak of broke-ness about a month and a half ago I used to torture myself by walking through the food court, and although I still can't even afford a cup of coffe there, it is nto nearly as depressing to walk thorough wearing a suit... Their "food court" is one of the only things that actually makes me question my vegetarianism, -it is so picture perfect French gourmet food behind glass and on plates of middle-aged folks sitting for lunch, all gorgeous. In the Q205 (an underground mall down the way) the girl at the crepe´stand looks uncannily like Lonelygirl15... at least lonelygirl15-esque, then again, so does Seattle Curator Carrie E.A. Scott, and the wokman who plateyed the teacher in Rushmore... odd.
I still had time to kill and only 80 cents in my pocket so I decided to visit a few galleries. For some reason many of the Galleries in the neighborhood are locked and you have to be buzzed-in. Having a suit and a folder full of excel documents really made things fun. I visited Francisco Clemente's show at J--- and was thouroughly underwhelmed, expressing my underwhelmedness by jotting notes down silently as I went throught he space. CRONE had an ok but slightly simplistic show, more on that ...
later...

Labels: ,

Google Book Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home