Saturday, May 26, 2007

Post Titled: De La Soul at the Admiralspalast Berlin 25 Mai 2007
Post Subtitled: "Ain' no young men up in here" after 18 years De La Soul still has an extremely loyal fan-base and can rock the sh*t outta a crowd.

Pos, Dave and Maceo
At the last minute and after getting caught in an awesome flash thunderstorm at the Kulturfest with Paul and Jesi
I decided that i needed to get back on my bike and ride another half-hour through the rain to go
to the De La Soul show at Admiralspalast (an unusual OLD theater venue on Friedrichstrasse). Upon arrival I was pretty convinced that i had
made a mistake- the crowd in the Hof out front of the entrance was definitely not there for
the same reasons I was. Hundreds of run-of-the-mill teenagers mixed with Middle-aged corporate types mingling with ego-asshole-metrosexual-just-got-back-from-the-gym-and-my-pechs-are-half-
the-size-of-anna-nicole-smith's professional dudes in their late 20's/early 30's
sprinkled with plenty of loud retarded American college kids- then again, i am there alone- indeed, just "me, myself and I" , but "I don't give a f*ck cuz I love hip-hop." (quote I do not credit to myself)- It was very disheartening at first.
actually I really couldn't find anyone who wanted to go back out into the weather and/or shell out the money.
And, as it turns out, another very good reason to think that this was an awful idea was that
this was some kind of Radio Eins party, the spiessers had wristbands and there were - I dunno, there were 4 euro beers and a slightly snooty vibe, even the
apparent hip-hop heads appeared a bit too canned. Looking at the schedule I realized that I had alomost two hours to kill before De La was going on, so I
left the venue, went to the imbiss under the U-Bahn overpass and got a Radeberger for 1,39, returned to the Hof at the Admiralspalast
and peoplewatched. After awhile a columbian hairdresser (middle aged woman) and young german/french jazz singer named isabelle started talking to me,
that went well- it is rare that you randomly meet just nice strangers to kill time small-talking with. However, I got separated from them and ended up just waiting
in front of the satage with photographers.
The show opened with a group of 11 Beatboxers, thos were od but had much too much stop-start to really bring it to a peak.
THe De La Soul show itself was incredible, huge amount of energy- and they played a very good mix of old and new material- my favorite is always EGO TRIP with its multiple false astarts, and then any song where Maceo descends from the turntables and raps, it always seems that in an almost comic-book fashion the floor shakes when he stops down with one foot, like a buddha-HULK. Pos and Dave were in top form wie immer, carrying the lyrical side of things, ever-so charmingly.
STAKES IS HIGH _ favorite quote : "life can get all up in your ass"

a more popular song De La Soul feat. Redman - Oooh with the Wizard of Oz theme, granted Art OFFICIAL Intelligence is not my favoite album:

somewhat unrelated- Pos is the featured vocalist in this song:

Labels:

Google Book Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home