Saturday, May 05, 2007

Post Titled: WHy Video Games are cooler than art...
Ok, sad sad day, Paul and Jesi and Melissa and Mike and I went to the opening at the Hamburger Bahnhof, and I was like "Ok, art, ok, nice, ok, Warhol, ok, installation"and then - THEN there is an installation made up of 12 REAL 80's and 90's arcade games all lined up in two row of 6 facing each other less that 2 feet apart which you could play- and WHOA, they had Galaga, and let me tell you: I am now the majority of the top scores, except first, the joystick stuck badly, but man... Galaga is heaven. THe art was good, but the half-hour I spent sweating and cursing while battling intergallactic space invaders in 2D and 8 bits (or less?) was sooooooo gooooooood!!!!

useful GALAGA info



Afterwards at a wierd little bar, (all too difficult to explain- very odd) called Palmero or Paloma at Kottbusser Tor I simply said to Melissa "Yea... I haven"t been paying too much attention to art, I am more interested in life these days..." Life... and Galaga, apparently.
No, but the show was good, I should blog it in artfaceoff when I have an attenion span and a brain cell to spare.

Here is a crappy unauthentic too-sharp version online, I will look dor something better

and shoot- I interviewed Kalle Lasn today! that was great.
interesting life he has had:

Kalle Lasn's Biography

"I was born in Tallinn, Estonia, during the middle of World War II. In 1944, as the Russian army approached Tallinn, my family escaped to Germany. We lived in a displaced persons' camps for five years. When I was seven we immigrated to Australia where I received my education, graduating with a B.Sc. in pure and applied mathematics. My first job was with the Australian Defense Department where I played computer-simulated war games in the Pacific Ocean. At age 23 I headed for Europe, but my boat stopped in Yokohama for two days. I fell in love with Japan and was unable to get back on the boat. During the '60s I ran a market research company in Tokyo and made enough money to travel around the world for three years. Then I returned to Japan, married Masako Tominaga and we immigrated to Canada. I started a documentary film making company. Over the next 15 years, my documentaries were broadcast on PBS, CBC and around the world, winning over 15 international awards. In 1989 I produced a 30-second TV spot about the disappearing old-growth forests of the Pacific Northwest, but to my dismay, none of the commercial TV stations would sell me any airtime. The Media Foundation, Adbusters Magazine and Powershift Advertising Agency were all born out of this incident and the realization that there is no democracy on the airwaves. I've spent the last thirteen years editing and publishing Adbusters, launching social marketing campaigns like Buy Nothing Day and TV Turnoff Week, and fighting legal battles for the right to access the public airwaves."

Labels:

Google Book Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home