Friday, January 12, 2007

Post Titled: On Bicycles and Black Folk

For my second job yesterday I spent a few hours calling Radiologists in the South (Montgomery, AL and Georgia mostly) and then on the bikeride home I realized that if there is one thing I truly miss about the United States it is African-Americans. There are plenty of Africans and plenty of Americans in Berlin but very few African-Americans. How many times on the phone did I hear "Hold on justa a second, Sugar- lemme think here..." sigh


For work I was pouring over the names in the DLD converence in Munich, ARIANNA Huffington, Luc Besson, Craig "Craigslist" Newmark. Great Lineup, reminded me of the TED Conferences Lineups, where even Bill Clinton will be speaking this year. What a beautiful thing- this congregation of brilliant/influential/innovative characters.


At the Library yesterday I checked out:

Garden State by Rick Moody (in German for Nadine)

Berlin, Berlin Staffel 1 (to watch something in the language)

Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly, 1997

the Beta Band, Hereos to Zeroes (Nostalgic, but not that great)

Syd Barrett, The Madcap Laughs (Because it reminded me of John)

and

Schostakovich #10 (because I am not all that familiar with him.)


The library is a beautiful thing, and a delightful crapshoot- at that. Unlike the pressures of going to a bookstore and committing to one or two purchases, the library allows one to try out a full bag of media for free... just think about that: millions of books, movies, and music- for free. It is a wonder they haven't been forced shut down due to unfair business practices.

and damn- this Missy Elliot album is just right. I was afraid it would scream 90's, but it really doesn't- I've always wanted to listen to her, (mainly because she claims to have visions, like that Megaman video she did) but it never built up to the $14.99 desire.

Weist du? Hmm.
and here's that genius-ass video:
Enter: Library

ah, 1997...


On a local note, the weather was miserable (STRONG wind, rain) and the bicycle was on its last leg. It is an old dutch bike Nadine picked up from the Sunday Flohmarkt in Prenzlauerberg, and the chain fell off no less that 6 times so I decided to just walk the last %&§#ing quarter mile, when this Eastern European BMX guy just rolls up next to me and starts chatting about the chain being off the gear, then he puts it back on, getting his hands totally greasy, and suggests I ride with my weight over the front - then rides off along Hasenheide Volkspark. That is the nicest thing I can think of anyone having done (completely randomly and out of nowhere) in a long time. Bike is still 80 dead, though...



After 2 weeks of England and 2 days working with George (English-Greek) I have the word ìBrilliantî on the brain. I like this word, a good superlative.



Working these 12-hour days is particularly good for one's focus. Very: go-go-go...



And just HOW MANY late 90's hip-hop albums is Busta Rhymes featured on? Seriously, all of them?

Labels:

Google Book Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home