Saturday, April 14, 2007

Post Titled: The Impossibility of an island.

Walking up and down Friedrichstrasse yesterday surrounded by more tourists than ever... and the the young americna tour guides who lead them with loud animated historical shout-speeches. I actually used to work with a guy I saw leading a tour, Nikolai, and he paused in the middle of a sentance when this moment of recognition occurred, he stopped, smiled, became himself and said "hey!" for a second then returned to tour guide mode.

It dawned on me that I couldn't imagine thousands of germans living in any one major american city eeking out a living any way possible, fighting the beurocracy, living without electricity, staying for years technicaly illegally or receiving unemployment from the American GOvernment, but that all seems to go on here all the time... BUT on this island Berlin there are different standards or foundations for life... life is completely up-in-the-air. Hardly any structure. I wonder how that works in Paris- even more absurd? Paris, I believe, is only half the population of Berlin, and I seriously doubt there is the abundant and dirt-cheap housing to be had there like there is here-

I have been reading Haruki Murakami's "Frog Saves Tokyo" in German, this is the second novel I have been able to read that was translated from Japanese to German- it is just easier, go figure.

Nadine just went off to audition for an acting school. SHe has spend weeks honing the character of Ulrike Meinhof for the piece, it is very very good. She will get in.

So, Saturday morning and I put on Morrissey's Vauxhall and I, then do German vocab and wait for Nadine to return and relay details. Glorious sunny day.
Google Book Search

1 Comments:

Blogger Helen DeWitt said...

Glorious sunny day. Reading Leff's History of Heresy in the Later Middle Ages, I find the view that existence is an attribute of God which he bestows on some of his creatures, many of which are so verrückt they sit inside blogging while others have noticed it's spring.

3:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home