Saturday, February 24, 2007

Post Titled: Two great foto links
From Davis Confused aka NEMU a link to Edward Burtynsky's fotos
and from Greg Lundgren a link to Mardi Gras fotos by Justin Lundgren.

I went dancing with Amelia last night which was a much-needed release. Ballhaus Mitte is amazing- like a East German prom-meets-fest-meets-something. The upstairs was closed but it has the most beautiful old ballroom I have ever seen. Carved wood everywhere and crumbling walls, like it was lost for 100 years. THe downstairs was full of lively dancers, walls lined with tinsel and a couple hundred people lounging watching the spastic antics of those on the dancefloor... I

Upstairs.

The great thing was that there were people of all ages and walks of life just dancing (for the most part goofily but joyously) about. A 75 year old man strutted out onto the dancefloor for Blondie's Heart of Glass. Old couples waltzed and lesbians in suits were dancing besides groups of done-up girls while a gay couple flamencooed. Quite lovely.
We were later joined by a very talkative and charming spanish gallerista and performance artist Mitsu Salmon. The spanish girl kept commenting on how everything in america is big- on the scale of a car, whereas everything in europe is built and functions on a human scale. I like that. This matter of space and proximity...

On the way home I got a bit lost and them was confronted by 5 separate prostitutes, all very young and cute, but initally shocking as I had more or less forgotten about prostitutuion being legal here. The first looked at me and said "hallo!" and ia looked behind me to see if she wasn"t talking to someone else nearby, then confusedly hurried along. The next few would jump in your path on the sidewalk halting you with a hand on your chest, all dressed up warm and adorable batting their heavily make-upped eyes.
"Hi, whatcha doin'?"
"Going home"
"Why are you going home when we could have some fun?"
"I don't think my girlfriend would like that."
"Oh, she doesn't have to know. We can go back to my apartment for a bit, lay back and have some fun"
I am way too polite. I literally had a small conversation with each of them about why this wasn't possible and thank you but I needed to go home. What the heck is wrong with me? Ugh, anyhow. I hadn't been in this situation since Prague many many years ago- it is so awkward. But business is business and (as Claire pointed out) they ARE salespeople...

Labels:

Google Book Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home