Monday, April 16, 2007

Post Titled: Damn junkies...
Post Subtitled: On Computer Addiction
THis online article from the Goethe INstitut reeks a bit of classic "Reefer Madness"-esque propaganda, advisings warnings and paranoias, oder? Pretty fun.

I closed my eyes last night and saw matte-brown-black nothing. Nothing on the backs of my eyelids, which are usually hyper-animated with shifting imagery, especially before I go to sleep... and I thought "yes, perhaps the computer screens have burned away my imagination..."

Not the most likely scenario, but it could happen.

And does it really matter if children escape into virtual realities?

I mean, I wouldn't want that for my kids, but if other kids want to tune into techno-zombies, I'm cool with that. Little buggers. What else do they have to do? Read words on PAPER? Entertain THEMSELVES? SOunds like a lot of hard work if you ask me.

Labels:

Google Book Search

2 Comments:

Blogger Helen DeWitt said...

It's good to know that the best minds in Germany are on the case. I have sent this link to my father and brother; it's best to know the danger signs (leaving the table to play on the computer, staying up till 4.30 am...) so preventive action can be taken.

1:22 pm  
Blogger "Post-Google" by TAR ART RAT said...

yea, it is quite sad- I grew up playing in the woods, getting muddy and bloody, wouldn't have it any other way.

1:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home