Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Post Titled: "...experiment into the German personality."
Post Subtitled: How do you spell "faschist"?
Post SubSubTitled: No, really, I do not know how to spell "fascist"-- seriously.

Biking to work this afternoon, my thoughts were:
1.Yes, Biking is the superior and most free(ing)means of (self)transportation. After months without a bike, finally having one again re-affirmed this near-fact.
2.Punctuality and the enforcement of punctuality is complete ______-ist brainwashing
(feel free to insert your own "ism" there before the "-ist")
3.that it is creepy that in the United States we re provided with manditory schooling until the 10th grade but NOT Health Care. What does this mean? It SEEMS to mean that it is more important to indoctrinate youth into the _____-ist "YOur butt must be in that seat at _o'clock every day" mentality that to actually have a healthy population which can rest with peace-of-mind that it can be taken care of both on a regular basis and in case of emergency by a medical professinal and it won't cost them the next 15 years of thier job earnings. This thought was partially die to certain scenes in "the Last Samurai" by Helen DeWitt (see "Paperpools")
4. I worked from home today from 8:30am-2pm and I got just as much done as if i were there. Email, skype, who needs an office? In fact, in a perfect world if we were all as actually on-top of things (faschist) as we could possibly be... well, no, let me just say that I "waste" an hour and a half of my day GOING TO A LOCATON THAT I DONĂ„T EVEN NEED TO BE AT TO ACTALLY WORK- thanks to technology, UGH!- effing amazing, right? Shoot, man gotta re-negotiate my contract... simply baffles the mind... ON THAT NOTE:

5.I found THIS piece of writing by a Professor named Ron Jones, exerpt:
"We were studying Nazi Germany and in the middle of a lecture I was interrupted by the question. How could the German populace claim ignorance of the slaughter of the Jewish people. How could the townspeople, railroad conductors, teachers, doctors, claim they knew nothing about concentration camps and human carnage. How can people who were neighbors and maybe even friends of the Jewish citizen say they weren't there when it happened. it was a good question. I didn't know the answer..."

I am not sure if this is actually a short story or a non-fictional account, but it is worth a read - FULL ACCOUNT OF EXPIRAMENT HERE. (actually, I think it iIS a study-)

Labels:

Google Book Search

1 Comments:

Blogger nigels said...

On your comment about working from home:

Welcome to my world! I've been doing this full-time for 7 years and it would be hard to go back to the noisy, distracting environment of an office or the energy sapping, earth polluting, frustrating 45 minute each way commute I used to have.

My "ah-ha" moment came at an intersection where the lights changed to green and I was about to set off and two cars ran a red light at about 60mph. If I'd not looked, I'd have been killed. That forced me to think "why am I doing this and how long can I continue to do this without getting killed?" I was commuting into an office where there was nobody I needed to work with (my team was on the opposite coast of the U.S.) So, I stopped commuting and became a remote worker and haven't looked back since.

Why isn't this more common? In a word "trust". Humans build trust through social contact and face to face contact is one of the most effective ways to build that trust. No matter how much people say that they support remote workers, the trust takes time to acquire.

Remote working isn't for everyone, it's deadly to extroverts who thrive on social contact (but we can address this with social networking technology.)

In my dreams, office buildings are turned into affordable housing, major highways into cities become fast bike express routes and the skies become clear as pollution from cars dissipates. To paraphrase David Byrne:

"Once there were office parks,
Now it's a peaceful oasis,
you got it, you got it"

Just as the mill buildings of the industrial revolution became tombstones of that era, so too the office buildings of today. I have no doubt it will happen, but it'll take a generation before we see it pervasively.

9:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home