Sunday, October 15, 2006

Post titled: Ramsteiners drinking together again.

DISCLÄIMER: THIS POST WILL MOST LIKELY ONLY BE OF INTEREST TO PEOPLE I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL WITH

I took a hiatus (sp? I've never actually written that word) from ye olde blog last week, so to re-trace my steps:



I spent my last night in the D.C. Area visiting with old friends Nicole, Chris and Demetri. This was a pleasant surprise because in the past everyone had been way too busy to meet, so I guess I just expected that it wouldn't happen...

Nicole picked me up at the metro in downtown Alexandria (I think) then we went to Old Town Alexandria to a pretty good little spot (reminescent of all the Irish pubs we spent time in growing up- minus the flatscreen baseball, of course) called Murphy's.

STrANGELY ENOUGH IT WAS trivia night in the pub (ironic given our somewhat competitive pasts when it came to certain academics-) ,and we thought we were doing really well- hell, I even remembered Kyle McGlaughlin's name, but no NO we ended up not making the top 4 (or 10!) shoot, blow to the ego there...
I was ecstatic to see everyone, just to be surrounded by people whom I knew and who knew me- I mean fundamentally knew where I came from and basically who I was. The last several months in Seattle (or years?!? With the exception of Elise's Wedding, Manuel and Vernon's visits and then Jamie and Nicole's Wedding) I was always around people who I'd only recently met, which made for a lot of explaining- which I usually never bother to do anymore just beacuSe it it too annoying.

(case-in-point: "Dude, I thought you were German-?" Issara thought I WAS German the entire time I lived there until I mentioned the paperwork I was doing to move here. "No, I'm American, I just was there for Jr. High and High School, then on and off throughout college, basically. My parents worked for the government"... tryexplaining that 1,000 times, I gave up awhile ago).

My point is that it is good to be around old friends sometimes, especially DoDDS kids to recharge and get a perspective on your own life. Also strange how everyone has stayed pretty much themselves: Chris is still high-end gadget obsessed, messy but messy with nice stuff (hard drives adn neckties) strewn all over the place, boy-ish, intelligent and interesting and constantly doing things that literally make you say "what the fuck, Chris-?" (Like how we sat around watching LAST YEAR'S ROSE BOWL recorded digitally from on-demand while we talked later at his place- who does that?!? I mean, we all basically acknowledged that it was absurd, but that's Chris and we love him for it.

Demetri is doing well, I was a bit worried that I'd find a shell of a man after a BIG break up but he seems just fine, despite a newfound cynicism- which gives him a pleasant edge. I've always appreicated how his mood switched constantly between near adolescent playful aggresssion and sleepy-grumpy boy, but then he'll turn around and pontificate about the craziest sh*t, like that new webdesign format for companies- what was it?.., shoot, I don't even know.

Nicole seems very well also. I email with her more often than the other two so it was less of a "howthehellhaveyoubeen???" experience with her, but it is great to see her happy with Olin, and she's hardly changed a bit- still the charming, chain-smoking, good-looking girl she always was. I hope things work out with the two of them, he seems like a really good guy... and by the end of the night we'd had a half-dozen pints and I think he commissioned me to do a painting, but I'll have to double-check. Nicole is actually one of my first patrons, she's got a set of Sharks in her bathroom (from the cartoon Hammerhead sseries) and some others from long, long ago- she tells me the titles and I draw a complete blank. Odd how one can completely forget ever having made something... how is that possible? But find it to be much like how the details of a book fade over time and then you can flip through later saying ìOh, yeaaaa- duh, I remember that.î The same works for me and sketchbooks. Strangely enough I threw away most of my sketchbooks before the move, I just didn't value them anymore...

Olin and Nicole headed out, and Demetri and I proceeded over to Chris' in Vienna for, yes: last year's Rose Bowl! (which was weird because apparently Matthew McCaunahey is Texas' Mascot-, yea. I didn't know that., and Will Ferrel was doing the spots for USC... what a strange match... in reality...

My camera was out of batteries that night and I can no longer send any fotos from my phone so IT'D BE GREAT IF ONE OF YOU COULD EMAIL ME SOME IMAGES, yo. Good to see you, kids.
Google Book Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home