Monday, November 20, 2006

Post Titled: THIS IS POST #200! (Shouldn't I be pulling over to the side of the road, getting out, jumping-screaming like in the commercials?)

Ah, but no, rather this is another pre-dawn session. Usally I'd be working on a short story but... instead I am attepmting to pour some substance into the internet.

Yesterday was different. A difficult morning became a strange and lovely afternoon when we rode the train out to the old east in search of a sea, but there were only damp gray nature preserves to be found... and a small cute town where everything was either nice or run-rown... which is the former east in a nutshell, isn't it? The train ride itself was quite 'Ostalgic' what with the abandoned buildings, gradditi'd old rundown factories and large expanses of compacted-living urban WHAT? Urban what: I don't know what to call it, the 6-story compact red high rises or East Germany's Sputnik-version-of-the-Future version of architecture...

LAter Ilya invited us to a friends for what I think was his going away get-together. THis is actually quite sad because although I've only known the guy for a couple of days he struck me as being someone I'd've liked to really get to know, The guy is seriously charming and genuine as hell- but now he's headed back to Sydney, scheisse. Helen, the hostess was really delightful and also an author so I once again found myself in literary conversations between her, Ilya and Amelia that were over my head... I always think I'm well-read until these sorts of situations arrive. In this case I actually felt dumb. Where are those Elliott Bay Book kids when you need them in-miniture whispering in your ear?

At midnight I actually caught "Wait Wait" on NPR which wasn't the most stellar show this week but was worth listening to just to hear Barak Obama calling to apologize for ruining this guys chance for a date by saying "Hey, man- sorry if I hurt your game-" GAME. The man, a US Senator, said "hurt your game." America, seriously: put this man in the Oval Office and all might be right in the cosmos for a couple of years. For reals. What have you got to lose?



P.S. Several years back I was convinced that ALL ARTmaking HAD BEEN REDUCED TO GIMMICKry, and now I can't help but

wonder if literature isn't the same..
Google Book Search

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home